- Student Google Apps for Education Account Notification
- The Bow School District recognizes that success in a 21st century classroom requires the use and integration of a variety of technology tools by both students and staff. The integration of a variety of technology tools by both students and staff is a requirement to prepare our students for their future. Currently, our students are using technology to create and publish their work, as well as collaborate and communicate with others.
The Bow School District presently utilizes Google Apps for Education for all of our staff members, and a subset of the communication and collaboration tools for our students. In order for students to receive and utilize a Google Apps for Education account, they must follow the policies stated in the Bow School District's “Internet Acceptable Use Policy”, Policy # IJNDB-R which can be found on the Bow School Board's website. Students must also abide by the requirements and terms listed below.
- Requirements and Terms
- All students in Grades K through 12 will be issued a username and initial password for the BowNET.org Google Apps domain. Students will need to reset their password to something of their own choosing after their initial sign-on. Students should not share their account password with anyone, with the exception of their parents/guardians.
- The username, and data within each student’s account is owned and maintained by the Bow School District, and should not be considered private by the student or their parents/guardians.
- A student’s BowNET.org Google Apps account may be disabled when the student’s enrollment in one of the Bow School District's schools is no longer active. The account may be disabled anytime after the second week of the change in the student’s enrollment status. This will allow the student the ability to download/transfer any documents that he/she has created within their Smithfield account.
- Student’s responsible behavior is articulated in additional Bow School District policies such as, but not limited to the “Internet Acceptable Use Policy”, Policy # IJNDB-R which can be found on the Bow School Board's website. Students and their parents/guardians understand that Bow School District policies extend to the student beyond traditional brick and mortar structures when behavior is associated with the student’s BowNET.org Google Apps account.
Age Appropriate Differentiation of Available Tools
For the purpose of the BowNET.org Google Apps for Education program, students are organized into Organizational Units (OU) according to elementary, middle and high school levels. This allows the District to provide access to different tools and different levels of permissions based upon the grade level of the student. For example;
- All students will have access to Google Drive, Calendar and Sites
- Only high school and middle school students will have access to Google Mail
- Only high school students will be able to send and receive mail outside of the district. Middle school students will only be able to send and receive mail to and from staff and students who are members of the Bow School District
Student Data Privacy and SecurityThe Bow School District understands the importance of keeping student data private and secure, and takes its responsibility to protect student information seriously. The District adheres to all local policies and state and federal laws regarding student and staff data privacy.
The district will not enable any applications or tools that are not specifically covered under the Google Apps for Education Terms of Service. Students will not be able to login to consumer Google products (e.g. YouTube, Blogger, etc.) using their BowNET.org account.
Questions and Additional Information
Parents and students can find additional information about Google Apps for Education, as well as other student educational technology tools and resources can be found on the the district’s “1 to 1 Technology Initiative” website
Parents can also contact the district’s Director of Technology, Roy Bailey with questions.